How do I get an EIN for a foreign national?

To get your business EIN as a foreign person, you need to fill out IRS Form SS-4, Application for Employer Identification Number (EIN). We have an entire blog post that provides step-by-step instructions for filling out Form SS-4. You cannot file this form online (unless you have an ITIN, as discussed above).

Can a non US citizen get EIN number?

International EIN Applicants. If you don’t have a Social Security number (SSN) and you are not a U.S. citizen, you can still get an EIN. Continue reading to learn more about an EIN and how to apply for one as an international applicant.

Do foreign entities have EIN?

It’s not uncommon, in fact, it’s often necessary for a non-U.S. entity to apply for a U.S. employer identification number (EIN). Virtually every U.S. business is required to have an EIN, but most foreign entities do not unless there is a specific need to have one.

How long does it take to get a foreign EIN?

International applicants must call 267-941-1099 (Not a toll-free number). If you prefer, you can fax a completed Form SS-4 to the service center for your state, and they will respond with a return fax in about one week. If you do not include a return fax number, it will take about two weeks.

Do you need a US address for an EIN?

The IRS is only interested in knowing where the business is operating. In order to obtain an EIN online, you will need a Social Security Number or U.S. address. However, the application for an EIN can be still mailed or faxed to the IRS if you do not meet these requirements.

THIS IS UNIQUE:  Your question: Which country is best for eco tourism?

Does a foreign shareholder need an EIN?

Any non-resident alien with U.S.-sourced income needs either an EIN or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to indicate on the W-8BEN that they qualify for treaty withholding exemption.

What is a foreign EIN?

EINs can also be used by foreign entities – any business based entirely in another country – for paying taxes or claiming exemptions from IRS withholding pursuant to the terms of a tax treaty. The application for an EIN for international company operations is administered by the IRS through its official website.